Sunday 28 January 2018

Kaleidoscope

Kaleidoscope is a low budget British psychological thriller. It was first premiered in 2017, but I didn't see it until it was premiered at the Parkway theater in January 2018. This thriller takes on the concept of kaleidoscopes and how colors change. Instead of colors changing, this takes on potentially different alternatives, almost like one of the Choose your own adventure books.


The premise behind the movie was about a middle aged man whom goes on his first date upon being released from prison. You are taken through the lead up to the date, and as the date is wrapping up. As the date seems to be an awkward attempt of trying to re-stream back into society, as a viewer you are trying to peice together the events that undwind after the date.

While I don't want to give too much synopsis, as I feel that this will spoiler for others. I usually enjoy a good and well done thriller. I like ones that require some form of thought process and overall potential ideas to add what has happened. I feel like this had the makings of a great thriller, my only complaint is that there were a few too many variables. The kaleidoscope approach while interesting and novel to the thriller approach, detracted from the movie at times. I appreciated the troubled relationship he had with his mother, and I enjoyed the play on relationships in the movie. As a first thriller attempt, I found this to be a good start.


While not quite up to the thriller drama or wit of Alfred Hitchcock, Kaleidoscope was interesting in the approach of providing many potential options for how the story progressed. The variations, at first threw me off, but as the scenes progressed I was able to deem the change when the actual skewing of the scenes with a kaleidoscope. I had originally thought I would skip this one, but am glad I changed my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment